Alberta Beekeepers Commission
On April 1, 2006 the Alberta Beekeepers Association gave way to the Alberta Beekeepers Commission. This occurred after a great deal of discussion and a vote by all beekeepers with more than 99 colonies registered in the Province of Alberta. All beekeepers who operate 100 or more colonies in Alberta are required to pay a Service Charge to the Commission.
The Alberta Beekeepers Commission is a refundable commission under the Marketing of Agriculture Products Act of the Province of Alberta. Alberta Regulations 59/2006, 72/2006 and 73/2006, govern the Alberta Beekeepers Commission. Links to these regulations may be found at Agricultural Products Act and Regulations.
Eligible Producer with 100 or more live colonies:
- Membership runs from September 1 to August 31 of the following year, and is based on data received from Alberta Agriculture and Food
- Basic Fee is $50.00 plus a Colony Service Charge of $0.75 per colony (plus GST). These fees are due and payable on or before September 30 of each year. Delinquent fees are subject to interest payments. Requests for refunds must be received prior to the end of October, on forms supplied by the Commission.
Producers with less than 100 live colonies:
- May participate as a voting member with full benefits and privileges, however must pay for 100 colonies ($50 + $65 +GST)
- May participate as a non-voting member, which entitles you to the magazine “Alberta Bee News” ($50 +GST) and the right to obtain liability insurance
- May choose to not participate in any Alberta Beekeepers programs
- The Affiliate Membership is for industry related businesses that want to keep in contact with the Alberta Beekeepers. The Affiliate Membership receives a monthly copy of the “Alberta Bee News” plus listing in the annual conference booklet
- Affiliate Fee is $100 (plus GST) and runs from September 1 to August 31 of the following year
Keeping In Touch
- The Keeping In Touch membership is for any beekeepers outside of Alberta or any other persons that want to keep in touch with the Alberta Beekeepers through the magazine “Alberta Bee News”
- Keeping In Touch fee is $50 (plus GST) and runs from September 1 to August 31 of the following year
$2 Million Liability Insurance
- Only available to Eligible producers, Voting and Non-Voting and Hobby Members
- 1 to 50 hives is $14.86
- 50 to 200 hives is $30.61
- Over 200 hives is $54.69
- The $100 Club is open to anyone wishing to contribute to the support of the Alberta Beekeepers. The members of this club are entered in a draw for a substantial prize, made annually at the Annual Convention
Make All Cheques Payable To:
#102, 11434-168 Street
Edmonton, AB T5M 3T9